Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Job Seeker Groups and I (and Me?)

Here I am unemployed and trying to reinvogorate my job search. Last week I attended two different Job Seeker groups.

I had difficulties witht the first one right off the top. The schedule I found on the internet was obsolete (thank you John Carroll University). I did run into one of the founders and he promised me a quick addition to the roster. Nothing happened. This is a very large group, meets every other week, and focusses on finding speakers and managing what is purported to be a very worthy website on Yahoo! Groups.

I say purported to be, because the don't want me to have access. You see I had the audacity to say that they have a rather cumbersome registration process. You must attend at least one meeting. You must wait for four or five emails to be delivered to you from the one person who has charge of the website. Because I was critical of their strictly volunteer efforts and stood up for my perception of things, I've been blacklisted. Apparently my behavior was unchristian-like too boot. Did I neglect to mention they meet in a church which apparently had a large role in their formation and support?

Well, yes. I am not a Christian. And I have some problems which would not be corrected by the simple act of conversion. Still, I do know somebody is supposed to turn the other cheek. I am sorry I didn't when I read their first reply. It was quite testy. We've gone back and forth a couple times by email. At this point I am waiting to see if we can clear the air in a personal meeting. Let us say they are not in a hurry to repair things.

I also want to point out we all can learn from James 1:19-20.

On the other hand I attended another Job Seeker group closer to my home. It meets weekly and is composed of a couple dozen folks who try to focus on one or two persons dilemnas each week by pre-arrangement, only after making certain everyone gets an opportunity to speak to their own situation and anything helpful they found in the past week. What more can you ask for?

We now have a new website in Yahoo! Groups as well. A consequence of their previous interest in obtaining one and my suggestion that Yahoo! provides a versatile and adequate one for free. Thank you for listening guys.

And if you're looking for a Job Seekers organization, which one would you choose? If you need to know which one I recommend, let me know. I will not speak further about the one I can't recommend at this point in time.

1 comment:

Marvin Walberg said...

Visit: marvinwalberg.blogspot.com, the "Getting Hired" blog